Skip to main content

TP-Link TL-WR940N Wireless N450 Home Router






When it comes to wireless internet services it’s pretty hard to decide what’s the best router for home use. So here I am with the all new TP-Link Router.
The router that I bought is TP-Link TL-WR940N Wireless N450 Home Router with 450 Mbps. It has 3 antennas. Before starting this topic, I’d like to let you know the difference between a router and a modem.

MoDem (Modulator - De-modulator) is a device which communicates with your internet service provider’s network and allows you to use the internet. This unit is compulsory for an internet connection to work. This may seem an important part of the internet setup.
Coming to the Router, it’s the one which is connected to a modem and allows you to have multiple internet connections. This is an addition unit. You may want to use it, if you’ve more than one computer or devices. Also, the router comes with wireless technology. That means your internet connection can be used via a mobile, laptop or a tablet wirelessly. All you’d need to do is just turn on the Wi-Fi capability.

Nowadays, there are some hybrid versions. Modem cum router, which basically does the job of a router and a modem.

The other major difference is that a MoDem is always connected to a telephone line where, usually RJ11 line is used. Whereas a router is connected by an Ethernet cable, called RJ45 line. Modem need not be always connected by an RJ11, if not ADSL or DSL connection. There are cable internet services. The ones which use optical fibre technology. This is sometimes called FTTH (Fibre To The Home). The main advantage of this FTTH technology is, the speed of internet is lightning fast. And it is not affected by an interference. Now, that’s a very big sigh.

Why did I buy this router?
I have purchased a new connection from my previous ISP. I moved to FTTH. Now this is a cable internet service. When I say cable it’s co-axial cable. When they set it up, they told me to buy a wireless router preferably Cisco E900 or E1200. This was the only option to me since my FTTH modem had one Ethernet port working and allowed me to connect to a PC. However, there is another PC in my place which desperately needs an internet supply. So, the only way to seek another connection was to use a router. Now, this brings to the conclusion of why did I purchase the router.

Why TP-Link?
I did my research for a long time. I even had no clue what’s the use of a router other than its wireless capability. As I dug deeper, I came to know that a router is better than a modem. Sometimes, a hybrid modem (like my previous one – better) didn’t allow any wireless connection and also didn’t work well for multiple connections. I am paying a lot of money to the ISP but I can’t use it to an optimal level. 
Now, when I started my research I came across D-Link, Cisco, TP-Link, Net gear and much more. All of them are some brilliant piece of work. But their service centres were not up to the mark in terms of service. And another important parameter is, the place I live doesn’t have any service centre other than TP-Link. So, I had to choose between these and bring TP-Link home.

Are there any other good routers than TP-Link?
Yes, definitely. Cisco Linksys is one of the most appreciated routers out there in the market. It works like a charm for all cable internet service. The next one would be D-Link which is second to Cisco Linksys.

How about the Cost?
When it comes to a router you could really shell out a huge amount of money or be smart to save few dollars for yourself. Buy a router and use an extender. Voila, job’s done.
TP-Link costs less when compared to all of the above-referred companies. However, there are many variants in TP-Link too. The best one of those is today’s topic. It’s three antennas and costs 1879/- only.
D-Link might cost somewhere 1950/-, Link-sys is about 2800/- etc. However, the cost builds up with the area of your house. Supposedly you’ve an area of 30 x 40 and only one floor you can have TP-Link initial router and that’d cost 950/-. If you’ve a duplex home and want both the floors to cover you may want to switch to either TP-Link WR940N or Linksys E1200 which might be around 1800/-. If you’ve anything greater than this, you may have shell out a little more for Linksys E2800.
So, it all sums up to what area of coverage you need.

Where did I purchase it?
I made my purchase through Amazon and it was a new box. After I made my purchase the cost came down a little by 200/- in a lightning deal. Well, I don’t care, that’s what market is all about.

Shipment and packing?
The retailer shipped it very fast. I am a prime member so I can get prime subscribed products very fast. I got my deal in a day. One day delivery (which cost 100/- and it was free for me). I can say, perk for being a prime member.
It reached before a day. And the packing was not that good since the outer box was weak. There was no bubble wrap which was a shocker! Anyway, I opened the box to see a small dent and freaked out! However, the Styrofoam box was rigid enough to hold this baby intact. I made myself clear that I'd not get this seller more than 2 stars for poor packing.

Unpacking?
My router was there and I went on to unpack it. The pack was neatly wrapped around by a thin plastic. I made sure that it was a new edition plus un-tampered.
I removed the outer cover and opened the one end of the box. I could see the grey Styrofoam neatly placed. As I said earlier it was a sturdy one. It housed a router, a charging adapter, a CD, bunch of instruction and warranty manuals and an Ethernet cable (yes, RJ45 but a small one. Hardly one meter!)

Setup?
The setup was quite easy peasy. All I did was connect the patch cord (Ethernet cable / RJ45 line) from modem to the router while both being switched off. Later, I took another cable (RJ45) from my new router and connected to my PC. Switched on both devices. Voila! It’s done. And that’s it.
Setting up a wireless network is easy too. All you need to do is pop up a browser and type in www.tplinkwifi.net in the URL bar. It will ask you for a username and a pass. Type “admin” as username and “admin” as the pass (see bottom of the router). You’ll be able to see the device configuration and status displayed there. You may have to choose some EULA and done. On the left pane, you’ll be able to see an option called wireless. Choose that and move ahead to set up the wireless name and pass there for your convenience. Also, don’t forget to enable the wireless radio option.

Convenient?
Yes, indeed. The setup and use are hardly child’s play. You can just use the option via a link provided to switch it on or off. Otherwise, you can use a physical button right next to the Ethernet 1 to turn on or off the wireless service. The three antennas do work like a charm. And thanks to 450 Mbps speed it covers most part of the house. If you’re in an old house like I do you have to use an extender for better reception.

Reviews – 
The small piece of the box is certainly an amazing performer. I have no regrets on this purchase other than the packing skills. The retailer will be notified in a while.
The front of the router has an amazing less eye straining blue LEDs. The LEDs would light upon booting it. The LEDs corresponds to 4 Ethernet ports, a wireless radio signal, power and internet facility. The sides have curves and look amazingly small. The back of the router has 4 Ethernet ports, an internet port, a wireless on/off switch, a WPS button, power button and a power port. And also, has three antennas at the back. The bottom has vents for the router and a sticker stating it’s from China and little certification along with the serial number.
This router comes with three-year warranty. I still have to verify that and will let you know.

Although the retailer claims this as an import from US, it’s not from USA but from China. It’s a shame that they’d use such things to trick people.


My two cents – 
You can use this router on your own terms. This router is mainly used for wireless connectivity though it has 4 Ethernet ports. The ports work like a charm. And wireless connectivity is good too. I wouldn’t say it’s great. The three antennas really work great. Though, mine’s an old building the signal does pass through thick walls. This can be a treat to those who reside in apartments.
The set-up is easy – peasy and doesn’t require a computer professional to configure it. Use the instruction manuals provided. Don’t change the settings unless you have to. Most of the stuff (settings) are pretty decent. 
Router promises a decent speed of what your ISP is providing. Hardly few drop outs can be expected. The router is small, can be placed horizontally. It would not heat, unlike my previous hybrids. I have turned it on over 60+ hrs and could feel normal temperature when I touch it.
It’s a bang for the money of 1800/-, though amazing, fluctuates quite often. The MRP is 3899/-. The pack arrived quite fast, thanks to Amazon’s swift delivery. The router promises it’s speed and wouldn’t compromise. Well, that’s it.


Merry Christmas to all of you. And also, a Happy New Year – 2017!

(this article is dedicated to MyD)

Thanks for reading the article.

With Love, Peace and Respects. This is Simon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Logitech M275 Mouse review

The all new Logitech M275 Mouse Hello everyone Simon here. And I am here to un-box, review and put my two cents. Let’s get started. I ordered a Logitech M275 Wireless mouse via Amazon . The price was catchy. Usually I do my shopping when lightning deals are up in the market. The price cut and new products are introduced at this moment. Yes, most important thing now in Indian Amazon market is that few electronic items like Mobile, Lamps, Monitors, TVs are all not eligible for a re-fund but qualified for an exchange. You need to send them back with all the original accessories with packing and they will send you another one once they get the product. [Unboxing] Once you remove the outer cover of Amazon packing you can see a very small box which houses a tiny mouse which has got lot slimmer and weighs less. Yes, the carton looks amazing with all the seller and import details. The MRP was stated as 1,195 INR for one quantity. However, I hit the ligh

Sony's MDR HW300K

Sony MDR HW300K Review Hello everyone, Simon here. Today I shall be Unboxing, reviewing and putting my two cents on Sony's MDR HW300K Wireless Headphone . When most of the people hear the name Sony all they can imagine is its sheer design, beauty and most importantly the new technology that it brings to the world. And now it's brought a new wireless headphone which is packed with power, super acoustic balance and also a sheer beauty to hold. Yes, of course all within the budget.  Headphones are inundating the market with no quality and bad design nowadays. With being said that I also want to the hold the opposite of it being true. Some good manufacturers are still producing very good headphones within budget and also over-budget. However, great things come at greater price. One of the headphones which literally put me off of my couch was MDR HW700DS . This headphone packs with sheer quality, power and superior sound reproduction. While saying that I need to